On 21 Feb 2003, Michel D�nzer wrote:
<I wrote>
> > I think that I might be seeing the same problem on a Sapphire Radeon 9000
> > (detected as a RV250 If) - at least I am seeing similar behavior. The only
> > thing that triggers the lock for me is logging out while running a display
> > manager though, at least I haven't seen any other lockups lately. I
> > haven't had time to nail down if I can avoid it (e.g. by disabling DRI) -
> > that's why I haven't written about it earlier - but the computer _really_
> > seems dead. Doesn't even answer a ping, and a hard reset is the only cure.
>
> That would be a very thorough lockup.

Yes, quite thorough. I certainly don't enjoy putting my computer into that
state...

> > I'll try to figure out how to make gdm restart instead of just resetting the
> > X server.
>
> AlwaysRestartServer=true
>
> in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf, which I just noticed seems to be the default in
> recent versions though, but I can't reproduce the problem setting it to
> false either.

Thanks. I'll check what it's set to when I get to that machine. (It should
be set to whatever the default setting is in RedHat 8.)

> > I've tried with 4.2.99.3 and 4.2.99.901 (actually CVS from couple of days
> > after that release), RedHat 8, gcc 3.2, and I have tried both RedHat
> > 2.4.18 kernels and Marcelo's 2.4.21-pre4.
>
> Are you using the DRM that comes with the kernel or built from CVS?

Built from XFree86 CVS. The kernel ones don't work with 4.3, do they?
(Also, they really shouldn't work with an RV250, shoud they? My card isn't
supported under 4.2.) With the CVS modules DRM works, glxinfo reports
direct rendering working, 1400+ frames in glxgears, Tuxracer is playable,
3D screensavers look nice, etc.

> Also, AGP settings could have an impact, as well as Mike's suggestion
> about other hardware.

Going down to AGP 2X doesn't help anyways, I tried that after seeing some
suggestions about that in the mailing list archives (if not here, possibly
on DRI-devel). If 1X is worth trying I'll check that too . I'll try to
look into other hardware too.

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll try to troubleshoot this when I have the
time.

Best regards,
Per Bjornsson

_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to