On Thursday 20 Feb 2003 8:11 pm, Per Bjornsson wrote:
> On 21 Feb 2003, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> > > It (my system) hangs whenever I try to logout with the dm.
> >
> > So have you tried setting your dm up to restart the server on logout?
> > They only reset it by default.
> >
> > > This is the reason that I am forced to either telinit 3 or "zap" X.
> > > This same or similar issue has been reported on the DRI site by me and
> > > others using the ATI Radeon (r100) chipset devices.
> >
> > The thing is, if zapping the server works, then it can't be something
> > really bad like a lockup. Maybe the server is running fine, there's
> > 'just' no display?
>
> I think that I might be seeing the same problem on a Sapphire Radeon 9000
> (detected as a RV250 If) - at least I am seeing similar behavior. The only
> thing that triggers the lock for me is logging out while running a display
> manager though, at least I haven't seen any other lockups lately. I
> haven't had time to nail down if I can avoid it (e.g. by disabling DRI) -
> that's why I haven't written about it earlier - but the computer _really_
> seems dead. Doesn't even answer a ping, and a hard reset is the only cure.
> Nothing shows up in the logs. I'm starting the computer in text mode and
> starting X with startx for now, that works fine but having a DM running
> would be nice. I'll try to figure out how to make gdm restart instead of
> just resetting the X server. (That computer is at home and turned off,
> won't be there for a few hours so I can't test it for a while yet.)
>
> I've tried with 4.2.99.3 and 4.2.99.901 (actually CVS from couple of days
> after that release), RedHat 8, gcc 3.2, and I have tried both RedHat
> 2.4.18 kernels and Marcelo's 2.4.21-pre4.
>
> I realize that this isn't really enough information to troubleshoot
> sensibly, but I just wanted to let you know for now that this problem does
> exist for others too and for later Radeons than the R100 as well.
>
> Apart from this problem I think that XFree86 4.3 looks pretty cool!
>
> Best regards,
> Per Bjornsson

- From what I found, the system is effectively dead as well. The freeze seems to
lock the I/O subsystem of the kernel. Thus, killing the network, mouse, and
keyboard. I think that it is creating a race condition where the system is
both shutting down and starting up the card at the same time, effectively
grabbing at the card at the same time.

Just a thought, would running my vc's in framebuffer mode cause a conflict
here?

- --
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from uriel.gvsu.edu
 20:25:04 up  4:45,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00
Founder and president of GVLUG.
Chief Systems Architect, S4, Inc. - OS Department.
 -=<http://www.s4linux.com/>=-
Project Lead for the Sentinel Linux OS Project (KOMODO)
PHONE : 331-0562
EMAIL : [EMAIL PROTECTED]