On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 05:04:09PM +0200, Egbert Eich wrote:
>  > Cause I asked a question (which has drawn *no* replies, BTW -- mostly,
>  > probably, cause I'd already asked the point guy on the topic and he didn't
>  > know), and subscribing to follow the answers *is what you do*.  I stayed on
>  > a) waiting to see if someone picked up the questions and b) in case someone
>  > asked one I could answer -- much the same reason I'm on the Linux Gazette
>  > Answer Gang.
> 
> Yes, this 'point guy' was me. I tried to help you as good as I could,
> however communication was kind of tedious as you emails came back
> bouncing with :
> 
>    ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>... Deferred: Connection timed out with firewall.jachomes.com.
> Message could not be delivered for 5 days
> Message will be deleted from queue

Yeah, DNS problems you can't control suck, don't they?

> I don't think you will find anyone else on this list who still has
> expertise about C&T chips.
> Furthermore I don't think you can complain that I have given you
> impolite answers.

And you'll note that I didn't -- I went out of my way to point out that you
had tried.

> I have scheduled to look into the offset problem you are seeing.
> However there are more things in XFree86 I need to take care of
> so I was not able to do so immediately.

Oh.  Cool.  Thanks.

>  > > "the internet" has more than one field, by the way. I doubt you're in a 
>  > > personnel/user related area.
>  > 
>  > Almost all of them in 20 years, except maybe BGP4.  *Lots* of front line user
>  > hand-holding and training, in fact -- including teaching people how to work
>  > their mail user agents for best effect.  So that poor configuration choices
>  > on mailing lists won't bite *them*.  :-)
>  > 
>  > And between your attitude and David's, I must say, I can see why there was a
>  > fuss with Keith, and why people suggested that he fork the project.  If y'all
>  > can't be bothered to be polite anymore, go find something else to do, 'k?
> 
> I don't see where David's answers been impolite - or anybody else.
> Linking this issue to the discussion about a fork is neither fair
> nor productive.
> My main intention starting this thread was to point out that many
> of those seeking support may never receive an answer. 
> I had no intention to provoke a general political flamewar.

The flamewar was completely orthogonal to my support problem, really.

> We instead need a pragmatic solution for our problem - unless
> we want to keep making support for the garbage bin.

I guess I'll have to pretend I parsed that.

In any event, thanks for your help, Egbert.

Cheers,
-- jra
-- 
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink                             RFC 2100
The Suncoast Freenet         The Things I Think
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   OS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows
        -- Simon Slavin, on a.f.c
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to