Eugene, I've read this book and enjoyed it also. I believed from the
moment I read that passage that it did indeed mean to do everything
with a full commitment. Use all of YOU. It may seem too simple at
first, but to me it really can be a complex thing, depending on what
I am "burning". This post is just my own, personal interpretation of
that passage, Eugene. Hope I did not confuse you more! Peace,
Blossom~--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Eugene" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am the one that posted this question and I think some
explanation is
> helpful. The text I meant is the following:
>
> "In order not to leave any traces, when you do something, you
should
> do it with your whole body and mind; you should be concentrated on
> what you do. You should do it completely, like a good bonfire. You
> should not be a smoky fire. You should burn yourself completely.
If
> you do not burn yourself completely, a trace of yourself will be
left
> in what you do. You will have something remaining which is not
> completely burned out. Zen activity is activity which is
completely
> burned out, with nothing remaining but ashes. This is the goal of
our
> practice. That is what Dogen meant when he said, "Ashes do not
come
> back to firewood." Ash is ash. Ash should be completely ash. The
> firewood should be firewood. When this kind of activity takes
place,
> one activity covers everything."
>
> I can understand one does everything with full commitment... Is
that
> what is meant? It seems more complex than that..
>

> --- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Eugene" <eusvr@> wrote:
> >
> > I am reading the book Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind, of Shunryu
Suzuki -
> > an excellent book. It goes into depths while being
understandable.