If I may say to your mind with respect, Al.  Do not judge with form.
Chan does not exist in any form.  If you have problem with the word,
"enlightenment" as before, it is your mind and not the word itself.  I
purposefully inserted there for you.  It is not important what word I
use to describe my teacher.  To me, he is everywhere. Sound like a cult
does it not? :-)   Actually what I mean is not the physical he, but the
Dharma he teaches.  Words are dangerous.  Our minds are worse.

I had doubt like everyone else when I first hear the word,
"enlightenment".  It takes time to truly know ourselves.  In the last 8
years I continue to experience and witness, every two-three month,
always something new about my body, mind and spirit and I am still learning.

Don't seek outside of ourselves.  Meeting a quality school only compacts
the journey and the challenges, but does not eliminate the challenge.
There is no short cut, because the challenges, we called karma, are
always with us.  When we "pick or choose", we only filter out the
opportunities with our limited mind.  Only when we are at peace with
ourselves, then we "hear the voice" of nature - or the universe, or
Chan, or God, or Ala - just terminologies.

Our "enlightened"  :-)  Master mentioned to us repeatedly, "Do not
idolize me, do not take notes, do not chant, do not memorize my words or
sutra, for they are exercises of the mind and the consciousness.
Practice and cultivate your Chi and witness yourself."

You shall find information of our school below. We have 60+ meditation
centers in Taiwan, but only two in the US.  We managed to translate some
of his teachings DVD with English subtitle.  Everything that I have
posted in this forum can be found on the site.  There is much more
information in Chinese, which still will take a while for us to translate.

http://www.heartchan.org
http://www.zen.org.tw

Jue Miao Jing Ming
My Dharma name - only teachers get a Dharma name in our school.  I am
one of the 60 ordained teachers, but that ordination only means that we
have the responsibility to undertake the karma of others.  And nothing
more.