  From: Edgar Owen
  To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 8:02 AM
  Subject: Re: [Zen] Sick of Flaming

  Bill,

  The other solution is to keep it open but remove gross offenders.

  Edgar

  On Sep 2, 2008, at 8:51 PM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

    Cynthia,

    The only thing that can be done to stop the flaming is to turn this forum
into a fully moderated forum in which the moderator - Al - reads and approves
postings before allowing them on the forum. Al could also probably block some
contributors, but they could get around this very easily by just registering as
a different name.

    A fully moderated forum has a lot of drawbacks:
    - it's a LOT OF WORK for the moderator
    - it slows down posting exchanges
    - it gives the power of censorship to the moderator - which in this case is
Al, whom I'm comfortable with, but it's always a bone of contention
    - there are probably more drawbacks that I haven't thought of...

    I think it would be better to keep the forum open and just censor the
postings yourself - by using your delete key.

    Also, and maybe the best suggestion, is we could all help reduce the
flaming by not responding to flames - which I am guilty of. I do that because
flaming doesn't bother me. Not responding would reduce the reason to flame
because there would be no indignant reaction to fuel the flames.

    What does everyone else think?

    Al, this topic keeps coming up. What do you think?

    ...Bill!