Thank you for your post.  I agree with everything in it.

IN MY OPINION, zen (I spell it with an initial lower case 'z' to
differentiate it from Zen Buddhism, and to help remind me that it is
nothing special.  It is not a name of a particular think.  It is not
a proper noun.) is direct experience of reality.  My shorthand
version of this is JUST THIS!, or THIS!.  That way I don't have to
deal with the dualities of direct/non-direct, or explain
what 'experience' means, or the duality of reality/illusion.  Of
course even typing 'THIS' leave open the this/non-this duality, but I
don't know how else to express it in text.  It would be better just
to slap the floor or remain silent, but that doesn't work too well on
an internet forum.

I'm not partiularily interested in comparing or contrasting zen and
Chan, but I am interested in trying to dispel all the misconceptions
about zen, especially those associated with Zen Buddhism, Buddhism
and now I guess Chan also.

Thanks for joining the forum.  We've had a lot of participants come
and go, but you're the first who I think holds almost exactly the
same opinions about zen and I hold - so far.

> Bill,
>
> I tend to agree with the thrust of your post, but we need to
> distinguish between Zen as I think you understand it, as just
seeing
> what actually is, as opposed to the various sects of Japanese Zen
> considered as sects. True Zen as I believe you use the term is not
> be found exclusively in any sect, whether those of Japanese Zen or
> Chinese Chan (though those can be an aid in realization for some).
> True Zen is wherever one is right here, right now. It is simply
> unmediated direct experience of reality.
>
> So really any dispute between Zen and Chan is just a distraction
> true Zen (or true Chan if you prefer).
>
> Edgar
>

> On Sep 5, 2008, at 10:17 AM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > JMJM and AL,
> >
> > Zen is not a subset of Chan. Chan is a subset of zen.
> >
> > Chan, at least as JMJM represents it, it a religion, a subset of
> > Buddhism.
> >
> > JMJM is right when he says zen does not have any spirituality.
> > Spirituality is maya. Karma is maya.
> >
> > Remember, JUST THIS! Zen's difficulty is it is SO SIMPLE and SO
> > BASIC and SO PURE that it is easy to miss when your rational
mind
> > is busy being dualistic.
> >
> > JMJM is wrong. Zen is not 'just a mind exercise'. Zen is NO-
MIND.