Mike and Al and everyone else...

I definitely agree with the sentiment of your statement below,  but
can see where terminology would cause a lot of people to disagree.

I think of zen (lower-case 'z') as any methodology which helps leads
a person to a direct experience of reality.  The methods of 'zen'
extend after that to help that person expand and deepen that
experience, and integrate that experience into their everyday life,
or you might say fine tune their everyday life to be more in
synch/harmony with the experience.

Zen Buddhism (upper-case 'Z') is a specifc methodology which is based
on Buddhism and uses Buddhist terminology, and has been heavily
influenced by Japanese culture and uses some Japanese terms.

'Zazen' is a Japanese term that means: 'za' = to sit, 'zen' =
zen.  'Zen' (Japanese) is term that comes from 'chan' (Chinese) that
comes from dhyana (Sanskrit) and can be translated as 'meditation'
(English).  'Zazen' is used to differentiate Japanese Zen Buddhist
meditation from other forms of meditation - like trancendental
meditation or contemplation or prayer, etc...  Zazen is used in
Japanese Zen Buddhism to cut through the  concept of self and all
other dualistic thinking to a direct experience of reality.  The
English term for this is 'enlightenment'.

In my experience I would confindently say zazen is the primary method
used by Japanese Zen Buddhism to 'attain, cultivate and integrate'
enlightenment.  Other methods are kinhin (walking meditaion), koans,
dharma combat (testing another's awareness) chanting, fasting and
doing household/garden chores (or any activities) while keeping a
clear mind (I forget the Japanese term for this, and actually this is
just an extended form of kinhin).

So, I agree that zazen or any kind of meditation is not an absolute
requirement, but I do not know of any other way that is better.

> Mike and Bill and Al,
>
> Zazen has nothing to do with Zen whatsoever. And I suspect Bill at
> least would agree with me. There is no requirement to do zazen or
> anything else whatever. Zazen may be an exercise that helps some
> people, others it may just stand in the way. Same about anything
else
> one could possibly think of.
>
> True zen is just finally admitting to yourself that you are
already
> enlightened and have always been, that is just finally realizing
what
> always existed that you just didn't notice before.
>
> True Zen takes no 'work' of any kind whatsoever. You are already
> there, you just need to realize it.
>
> Edgar
>

> On Sep 14, 2008, at 12:33 PM, mike brown wrote:
>

> > Hi  Al,
> > I think the tricky thing about zen is that it often feels that
> > 'getting it' is always just around the corner or that if I just
> > read the right book/passage/haiku/manga comic etc it'll all
become
> > clear to me. Unfortunately, this just takes us further than ever
> > away from any kind of 'breakthru' into a zen life. As Bill says,
we
> > need to have faith that this thing actually works, but this
alone
> > is not enough (as opposed to most theistic belief systems). You
> > have to do the hard work. That means plonking your arse down on
> > mat and doing zazen. There is no escape (for most of us) from
this
> > requirement. Just believing in zen is useless. However, even if
you
> > just get a tiny sniff of a breakthru' then a kind of
> > 'knowing' (read - 'not knowing') occurs which surpasses mere
faith/
> > belief. True, this can't be measured objectively, but so what?
You
> > know the truth of the taste of a cup of tea, and even tho' it
can't
> > be measured objectively, you just know - it doesn't matter what
> > anyone else thinks. Same with zen. You just live your life fully
> > and hopefully your actions/words will indicate the truth of zen
and
> > how deep your zen is. Mike.

Nature),