Bill,

That seems like the typical circumstance. I do agree that usually satori experiences come unexpectedly after plenty of 'work' trying to figure out the universe. My point is that work doesn't have to be zazen, it can just as well be intellectual effort trying to figure out the nature of reality which is a really big koan. Or it can be directly interacting with reality until one suddenly gets it right.

I guess what I'm saying is that zazen is like a standard methodology for the average person while really treading your own path is much preferable - if you are up to it

Edgar