You're right about being more 'impromptu'.  'Focused' is a little harsh, it
also implies a goal.  'With complete awareness' would have been better.

From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Edgar Owen
Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2008 6:54 PM
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Zen] Question?

Sometimes it's great just to do things automatically without being focused
on them, that allows one to be mindful of more relevant things.

On Nov 2, 2008, at 4:07 AM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

You wrote:
>I think I understand that is the MOTIVATION that is important. If a person
>has a driving desire to be a Phd in a subject that interests them, then if
>the person pursues the subject they are studying with curiousity and they
>focus on what they are doing today then that is the objective but if they
>are driven to crave the PhD in the future without thinking of the path to
>get there then that is where the problem is?

I think your thoughts above are close, but obtaining a PhD is a goal.
LEARNING MORE ABOUT [whatever] is not a goal, it is an activity. Now you
could pursue the learning aspect by many means, one of which would be
enrolling in college and taking courses which might eventually lead to a PhD
- BUT, the PhD is only incidental to the activity. It is not the activity

Also, what I think Buddha and Jesus both said were more along the lines of
living in the present. Using the example above, if you are going to class
every day and studying every night - then you should pour yourself TOTALLY
into each activity you are doing IN THE PRESENT. You should wake up
welcoming the new day, do your morning exercises as best you can, take your
shower and dry off with all your awareness, fix and eat your breakfast with
reverence and thanks, drive to class focusing all your attention on the
drive, attend class while focusing all your attention on the teacher's
instructions, etc... You should NOT wake up and rush through your morning
resenting the interruption of your sleep, shower quickly and eat your
breakfast in a rush while trying to catch the first 15 mins of CNN, drive to
class while thinking about your upcoming test or the cute girl/guy who sits
next to you in class, fidget through your class hoping it will end quickly
so you and the cute guy/girl sitting next to you could go to the beach or

This is what I mean by living in the present, not dwelling on the past or
dreaming about the future.