Hi Bill,

No, I believe reality is a single thing, namely the present moment, but that it manifests as illusion which is its discrimination and manifestations as multiple things within the present moment. This is the world we normally live in (except perhaps when we are in deepest meditation and most individual distinctions have dropped away). In this world of illusion we must deal with illusion as it appears, i.e. causally (or better than the 'we' merges back into the basic flows and moves according to them). We live in the world of illusion, of forms. We do have a lot of control to strip away many of the veils of illusion in this world, such as desires and delusions, but we cannot strip away the basic material forms and their causal relationships.

If I were to chew gum, the entire universe doesn't start chewing gum! What nonsense! The universe can certainly chew gum and walk and engage in myriad upon myriad of other things at the same time. The universe is a huge complex of interconnected chi flows. We may speak of that as illusion only in the sense that the individual forms are transient forms of the basic substance of reality, Ontological energy or Tao or whatever one wants to call it. ONly when that is entirely still without ripples of form do the illusions vanish completely - a state prior to the big bang.

Recognition of the illusory nature of things is not making everything (illusions) disappear, it is simply seeing that all the forms are themselves empty of any substance other than ontological energy or TAo or chi of Buddha nature stuff. Zen is not about making these basic illusions disappear, it is recognizing that illusion is the world that exists.

Edgar