Anthony,

Why is a human life more valuable than that of a duck? Both are alive, both have Buddha nature. Only difference is ducks aren't destroying the planet. I'd choose the duck...

Edgar

On Dec 20, 2008, at 3:46 AM, Anthony Wu wrote:

You are right in doing that. By the same token, if the choice is between a human being and a duck, it is clear that you should go for the former. But the reasoning should stop somewhere, otherwise, we would be supporting someone like Hitler.

Anthony

--- On Sat, 20/12/08, Vince <everythingzen1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
From: Vince <everythingzen1...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Zen] Ducks Have Buddha Nature?
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, 20 December, 2008, 3:14 AM

That is horrible, and I'm sorry you have to see that. I once saved a baby wood duck who had been left behind by his mother. It was wonderful, the time I spent with him. I named him Quackers.
However, I think about this and I am something of a hypocrite.
I love ducks but despise roaches and head lice. Is there an inherent difference between the two 'categories' ? Does a duck have more right to life and respect than a roach? I could make the argument that ducks are higher on the evolutionary ladder and therefore more deserving of consideration, but in the end, I have to admit that it's a lame argument. So, I will continue on as I have, saving ducks and killing head lice when my child gets it.