From: Jody W. Ianuzzi <j...@thewhitehats.com>
Subject: [Zen] self defense
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, 17 January, 2009, 4:23 AM

I have thought a lot over the years of how I would respond to an attacker.

I have studied the martial arts for 37 years and one thing I do know is that
martial artists are LESS likely to be involved in situations that require
self defense. A martial artist knows they can defend themselves and they
have nothing to prove. They also know how violent situations can get and
they try to avoid the situations in the first place.

I have never had to use my martial arts skills for self defense so I can
only speak philosophically. It is wrong to kill. That INCLUDES allowing
yourself or someone else from being killed. I would do all I can to prevent
someone from killing me or someone else hopefully without killing them. I
feel that if someone follows a violent path they should be stopped.

I have heard it explained that if self defense is used with compassion and
not anger but as a way to stop violence then it is OK. I heard the Dalai
Lama explain that defense is necessary.

I actually had a dream where I was using martial arts to stop an attacker
and I was crying and apologizing for having to hurt him.

Now again, this is all theoretical. I don't know how I would react in a
real situation. I know I would feel fear and anger but I would hope I would
keep my head on my shoulders, in all respects.

JODY

      Start chatting with friends on the all-new Yahoo! Pingbox today! It's
easy to create your personal chat space on your blogs.
http://sg.messenger.yahoo.com/pingbox