Chris,

But samurai training consists of a great number of 'what if' scenarios.

Edgar

On Jan 15, 2009, at 2:54 PM, cid830 wrote:

Edgar,

I'm sure you needed that lesson on the samarai! LOL.

My point, in Bill's defense, was that this is not comparable to his
response to Anthony's questions. Anthony is anticipating what will
happen if he runs into a killer or how he will react while starving, I
see Bill's point as telling him the anticipation is the problem. The
zen training will allow him to react to the situation at hand from his
Buddha Nature. Anticipating or worrying about situations that may or
may not actually occur is a sign that you are not engaged in your zen
practice. If you are not engaged in your practice, how can you expect
to react to a situation with your Buddha Nature?

This is one thing that led me to Zen. I used to worry and plan for
situations that never happened. I used to run "what if" scenarios thru
my head, to the point that it was driving me crazy. Zen practice
helped me tremendously!

Thanks again,

Chris