"The point for this thread is that this thinking of, and perhaps acting for
yourself or others is spontenous and not a result of any hope for reward or fear
of punishment "
This is so.  There should be no expectation or fear as the cause of
compassionate actions, but there is a state of being to which compassion arises
naturally.
"like satisfying an internal goal or external rule to be compassionate."
Correct also no need to follow an external goal, however there are acts of
compassion and ones that are not of compassion.  Acts of compassion are not a
rule but they are identifiable.  Much like gravity functions, and the laws of
physics function and are able to be measured and validated, so too compassion
is a functioning thing.  Not all actions are compassion, not all liberated
actions are compassion.