I think it is more than that.  People are shallow, sure, that's
nothing new.  But I wouldn't say that there is no change recently in
the degree of various cultures mixing around.  I had a most
interesting conversation with my Indian-born co-workers the other day
about how their parents want the grand-kids to be more traditional
than is going to be the case, and the parents just want them to be
some what Indian, but can already see the great gap between their
upbringing and their kids upbringing.

We celebrate Diwali at my work place, Chinese New Year, Superbowl
Sunday, and Christmas.  Sure, the Diwali is different than in Andhra
Pradesh, but it's not some external trendy thing US born folks are
doing - it is a gift offered from the Indian born folks for their
pleasure and for us US born folks to enjoy as well.

I think your words over-emphasize the power of commoditization - the
flower blooms among the mud after all.

My obligatory Zen joke: there is no deeper meaning in zen.  There is
just the zen meal and the zen art and the zen bulletin board.