Surely you aren't saying that Zen has made the US more shallow?  Quick
fixes, the gospel of getting lots of money, and similar things have been a
part of US culture for a long time.  I don't find them particularly useful,
but it's by no means some recent trend in the US.  The forms now have
changed as there are more religious traditions around, but the dynamic is
not new.

Disclaimer:  I grew up practicing Christianity down the street from PTL, Jim
Baker's "Christian" emporium where it was often said that "God doesn't want
us to have tacky things."  In my book, Eckhart Tolle has a ways to go before
his words are that far astray from the cyprus tree in the garden.

--Chris