Dear Mike

Good questions and good post.  It is interesting that perhaps we have come to a
little of the same conclusions, only I derived it from an impact of Japanese
Soto and Rinzai Zen Buddhism in America and you are seeing the reality of
culture and the inner life of Zen in Japan.

To a certain extent, I would have to say that while the Japanese intentions
probably would automatically be implementing and apply the Zen (Tradition), I
would not say this is entirely true.  I will explain.  But before I do, having
said that, I would like to point out something derived from the
Perennialist/Traditionalist School of Comparative Religion, which is a
Philosophical and Metaphysical overview of Ancient Traditions perse -- that on
an exoteric level, the outward manifestation of the Tradition, of course the
Japanese would be closer to this reality, although the West could and should be
doing this as well.  So, I would say that Zen is in good hands with the
Japanese under the onslaught of post modernist times and Secularism, which
steam rolls everything in the name of progress.  On the other hand, Zen, the
esoteric, which is what is essential, the inner life, this no culture can place
any claim to. It is the reality and the slipperiest of fish to obtain -- as the
Sufis say, the kernal and the kernal.

In the case of Americans or Westerner plundering the Tradition of Zen.  I think
that is two answers -- first, there are some who have kept up the Traditions of
Soto and Rinzai very well, but expressing a natural sense of American
Transcendentalism.  We sort of have our own secrets and gnostics inherent in
our experience.  That is culture and the Tradition, like the differences
between Chinese Chan and Japanese Zen.  And then of course there has been those
that have expressed an anything goes sort of Zen, or Zen and this and Zen and
that.  So, in short, I don't think Zen Buddhism is under anymore attack in
America than Japan, at least on the esoteric level.

I do think there is a possibility in both Japan and the West for any Tradition,
whether that be Sufis or Zen, for it to continuously be under attack from
Secularism and syncretism.  This is post modern information age times.  In some
sense it is what is wrong at the heart of the Middle East . . . not only is
Islam fighting the Secular West, but more importantly they are fighting
themselves, in terms of post modern times.  Technological and Western
individualism and syncretism has made advances on their civilization
(traditional culture)and they are having a sort of nighmarish reform that we
are all witnessing.  Trust me, it probably was not much fun in Europe for many
during the upheaval post Reformation.

So, in perspective Zen is alive and well. It offers a good Tradition and leans
on its pluralistic expression.  The Sufis do likewise, however they are on the
run in Saudi Arabia and Iran, the two major power brokers in Middle Eastern
culture.  When the Sufis can practice again in Mecca, you will know that its
all turned for the better.  But in the case of Zen, and even in China, which I
hear Buddhism is flourishing after all these years, as I said, I think the
prospects look good.

best wishes

Kirk