The "New Age" movement (in the US at least) is also partly responsible for
this.

Also (at least in the US) spirituality is commoditized like everything else and
every 10 years or so there is a new spiritual fad. In the 80's Native American
spiritual tradition was all the rage, then in the 90's it was Celtic. . .

I don't know what it is now because I haven't been paying any attention
(happily).

On a broader cultural level anything Asian has been "hot" here in America for
probably at least the last 20 years- art, food, spiritual, cultural ideas, etc.
But it is all very shallow and most Americans have no real grasp of the deeper
meanings. The label of "culture vulture" is very true of many if not most
Americans in my observation.

And yes, I'm an American, just in case anyone was wondering. . . .

Artie