From: DP <wookielife...@yahoo.ca>
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, 6 October, 2010 21:26:04
Subject: [Zen] Re: Don't pray in my school and I won't think in your church.

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, mike brown <uerusub...@...> wrote:

> DP,
>
> Thanks for the correction, but the point still stands as the debate included
> people who were ultimately arguing for the presidency of the US. When you say
> they were "widely ridiculed" in the press, by whom - Comedy Central, Bill
> O'Reilly, Scarborough, Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter etc?

Well, where did you see it? I know the Daily Show mocked it almost immediately.
As far as I know, none of the above conservative commentators disbelieve
evolution. They are not wont to criticize other Republicans - but that has
nothing to do with religion and everything to do with politics. (The
conservatives *were* quick to criticize Obama' religious beliefs, BTW)

According to many polls,
> half the population of the US believe the Earth is less than 10,000 years
> old.
>
> Wouldn't the readership/viewers be pretty pissed if they felt they were
> being

> "ridiculed"? Also, the moderator in the debate didn't even ask a follow up
> question to those (is 'morons' too strong?) candidates. As for having their
> finger on the button, a person who denies evolution because they believe
> in
>the
>
> literal word of the Bible is going to strongly believe in Armagedeon (sp?) as
> the end of the world (didn't Reagan push for the 'star wars' missile defence
> because he believed that's where the Book of Revelation said the final war
> between good and evil would be fought out?). Surely the danger in world
>leaders
>
> who believe in the literal wording of their holy books doesn't need to be
> spelled out?
>
> Mike

Which would be absolutely terrifying if any of them actually were nominated.
I'm not saying that anyone should get a "free pass" for their beliefs. What I
am
saying is that for many so-called liberals and free thinkers the opposite is
true - anything remotely religious is automatically lumped in with the most
extremist beliefs....

These were my only points. The forum that I was on had a section specifically
delegated for discusion of religion. And while I'm open to criticism of
religion, it was overrun by people who actively wanted to remove religion from
politics. In other words, trolling. It would be like a forum on stamp
collecting
bring dominated by anti-stamp people.

My other point was that completely eliminating religion from politics i not
only
impossible but unwise, because there are people whose political convictions to
make the world better were aided by their religiou beliefs.