Not quite. It was not the "last presidential debate," it was a debate among
those competing for the Republican candidacy. And no, "nothing" did not happen;
they were widely ridiculed in the media, and none of them won the candidacy in
the end. So no, they most certainly did not get a free pass. (In any case, I'm
not sure what evolution has to do with "having their finger on the button."