From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:zen_fo...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of ED
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:32 AM
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Zen] Questions, questions, question

Bill,

I hear you, understand you and appreciate the clear way in which you explain
the matter.

I would not have made the statement had I not out of the blue, whilst
leading a normal and ordinary life, without any zazen or meditation or
spiritual practices or medications or thoughts of enlightenment, experienced
a non-ordinary state that lasted six days.

This experience, which I prefer not to discuss, was never repeated, and is
the basis of any 'faith' I may possess in the potential for realization of
Buddha nature.

> I want to expand a little on one of my answers below to avoid
> misunderstanding.

> The posting exchange was:

> [Anthony] But we can try to use our finger to point to the Moon.

> [Ed] In the final analysis one must just have faith in the reality of
'Buddha mind', yes?

> [Bill!] Yes!

> My answer Yes!, that you do have to have faith in Buddha Mind is meant for
> the period BEFORE you experience Buddha Mind/Nature for yourself. AFTER
> that it is experience, not faith.
>
> I often use the word 'zen' as short for 'zen practice', and when I do I
> don't distinguish between the phases of zen practice. There are 2 distinct
> phases: one before experiencing Buddha Nature and one after. There is also
> an 'transition phase', especially in Rinzai (See, I spelled it right this
> time!) Zen Buddhism koan study, where the experience of Buddha Nature is
> often so sudden that it takes a period of follow-on training to
successfully
> reconcile and integrate that experience into your everyday life.
>
> It is not unheard of to divide zen practice into phases like this. Take
for
> example the 10 (or 8) Ox Herding phases. These are an excellent depiction
> of the phases one may go through from first wanting a change in your life
> and having FAITH that you can somehow do that (#1 Seeking the Ox), to full
> enlightenment, complete integration (#10 Entering the Marketplace With
Arms

database 5543 (20101018) __________