Bill,

For instance, like this below?

--ED

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_H._Austin
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_H._Austin>

"Enlightenment

Austin is also a practicing Zen Buddhist. After a number of years of Zen
meditation, Austin claims to have spontaneously experienced what Zen
practice calls "enlightenment" on a subway platform in London.

The chief characteristic of his experience seems to be a loss of the
sense of "self" which is central to human identity, and a corresponding
feeling of union with the outer world.

Austin speculates as to what might be going on in the brain when the
"self" module goes offline, and also discusses the seeing timelessness
of the experience in the context of the brain's internal clock
mechanisms. In Austin's own words,
It strikes unexpectedly at 9 am on the surface platform of the London
subway system. (Due to a mistake)...I wind up at a station where I have
never been before....The view is the dingy interior of the station, some
grimy buildings, a bit of open sky.    Instantly the entire view
acquires three qualities: Absolute Reality, Intrinsic Rightness,
Ultimate Reflection.    With no transition, it is all complete....Yes,
there is the paradox of this extraordinary viewing.    But there is no
viewer. The scene is utterly empty, stripped of every last extension of
an I-Me-Mine (his name for ego-self).    Vanished in one split second is
the familiar sensation that this person is viewing a city scene. The new
viewing proceeds impersonally, not pausing to register the paradox that
there is no human subject "doing" it. Three insights penetrate the
experient, each conveying Total Understanding at depths far beyond
simple knowledge: This is the eternal state of affairs. There is nothing
more to do. There is nothing whatever to fear.
Austin claims that the experience represented "objective reality" in
that his subjective self did not exist to form biased interpretations.
Austin claims that there is little conflict between Zen Buddhism and
scientific rigor."

> Ed,
>
> Your question: "What on earth is not an illusion?" is what zen is all
about!

> All thoughts and concepts of the discriminating mind (the rational
mind that
> creates dualisms such as self/other, subject/object and makes
judgments such
> as good/bad, right/wrong) are illusions.
>
> Only direct experience is not illusory. 'Direct' means before the
> experience goes through the discriminating mind and gets processed
there
> (filtered, augmented, named, categorized, assigned a value, etc...).
Zen
> Buddhism calls this 'Buddha Mind' or 'Buddha Nature'. Joshu called it
'Mu'
> and 'The Oak Tree in the Garden'. Ummon called it 'A Dried
Shit-Stick'.