Definitions of shikantaza on the Web:
    * Shikantaza|`üŠÇ`ō¿ is a Japanese term for zazen introduced
by Rujing and associated most with the Soto school of Zen Buddhism, but
which also is "the base of all Zen disciplines."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikantaza
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikantaza&sa=\
X&ei=lsfrTLrTD4y8sAOXuaGPDw&ved=0CAoQpAMoAA&usg=AFQjCNElED4PN1YdnZ_YDk_L\
nxE4ZC3L8w>

    * (Japanese): "just sitting"; a state of attention that is free from
thoughts, directed to no object, and attached to no particular content.
www.kwanumzen.com/misc/glossary.html
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.kwanumzen.com/misc/glossary.html\
&sa=X&ei=lsfrTLrTD4y8sAOXuaGPDw&ved=0CAsQpAMoAQ&usg=AFQjCNGrUnyHDrsyoXR5\
OFEvGrtRavExjA>

    * gJust sitting.h Refers to zazen without any specific
focus or technique and is characterized by intense non-dual awareness.
greatwave.org/glossary-of-zen-terms/
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http://greatwave.org/glossary-of-zen-terms/\
&sa=X&ei=lsfrTLrTD4y8sAOXuaGPDw&ved=0CAwQpAMoAg&usg=AFQjCNEl-u1NmlqOrr30\
OEbzgKAlBsRoFg>

It appears that 'shikantaza' applies to both the zazen practice of
striving to do 'just sitting' with a clear mind;  or it signifies the
goal itself of abiding in a content-free non-dual awareness.

> I was definitely told the Japanese word 'shikantaza' meant 'clear
mind'. See the quotes attributed to Rujing and Dogen Zenji in the
definition in my post below. Perhaps it is an extreme interpretation of
'just sit' which means you are just sitting and not thinking or doing
anything else.