From: ED <seacrofter...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Zen] Re: FW: Quote from St. Thomas Aquinas
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, 23 November, 2010, 10:12 PM

Definitions of shikantaza on the Web:

Shikantaza|`üŠÇ`Å�¿ is a Japanese term for zazen introduced by Rujing and
associated most with the Soto school of Zen Buddhism, but which also is "the
base of all Zen disciplines."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikantaza

(Japanese): "just sitting"; a state of attention that is free from thoughts,
directed to no object, and attached to no particular content.
www.kwanumzen.com/misc/glossary.html

�gJust sitting.�h Refers to zazen without any specific focus or technique and
is characterized by intense non-dual awareness.
greatwave.org/glossary-of-zen-terms/

It appears that 'shikantaza' applies to both the zazen practice of striving to
do 'just sitting' with a clear mind;  or it signifies the goal itself of
abiding in a content-free non-dual awareness.