From: Jue Miao Jing Ming - 覺妙精明 <chan.j...@gmail.com>
Subject: [Zen] Three Buddhist Practices
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, 23 November, 2010, 9:20 AM

Hi All,

The three fundamental Buddhist practices is "Discipline, Meditation, Wisdom".
In Pali, they are "sila, samadhi, panna", or translated into "morality,
stillness, wisdom." Word wise, jhana and samadhi and stillness are the same.
Morality and discipline are the same.  Some of you may disagree about this
"same".  They are the "same" in practice.  They are different only in our heads.

As you know, Chan is not taught through words.  Chan is about practice.  Let me
explain.

My Teacher calls the first practice "purification".  When our body and mind
become pure, we automatically disciplined and moral.  I call the first practice
"detox".  Detox from all our habits - habitual concepts, habitual actions,
habitual food, habitual life style.  It is like a reboot.

When we reach this clean state of being, then we reach samadhi, jhana,
stillness or just Ding, as we call it in our school.  It is a state of
stillness, yet spacious, expansive, clear, thoughtless......

Maintaining in this state, enables us to be in sync with the energy and wisdom
of the universe.

Kensho is when our heart outshines our mind.  It is also a description of
state.  Usually it means a state of clear mind or stillness before we reach
samadhi.

Shigantaza however is the same practice (from the discipline, through sitting
to clear mind to kensho).

In short, if we can detach ourselves from the descriptions from these states
and simply Just Sit without thoughts and cultivate our chi. We can reach all
these states.

In our school, we have a fourth state, our Teacher calls it, liberation.  It
means liberation of our heart after we quiet or clear our mind.

There is really no need to comprehend, just practice.  The Sixth Patriarch did
not even read or write.

:-)
http://chanjmjm.blogspot.com
http://www.heartchan.org