Related terms and practices

Although sati/smrti is the primary term that is usually invoked by the
word mindfulness in a Buddhist context, it has been asserted "in
Buddhist discourse, there are three terms that together map the field of
mindfulness . . . [in their Sanskrit variants] smṛti (Pali: sati),
samprajaña (Pali: sampajañña) and apramāda (Pali:
appamada)."[12] <#cite_note-11>

All three terms are sometimes (confusingly) translated as "mindfulness,"
but they all have specific shades of meaning and the latter two might be
glossed as "awareness" and "vigilance," respectively.

In the Satipatthana Sutta </wiki/Satipatthana_Sutta> , sati and
sampajañña are combined with atappa (Pali; Sanskrit:
ātapaḥ), or "ardency," and the three together comprise yoniso
manisikara (Pali; Sanskrit: yoniśas manaskāraḥ),
"appropriate attention."[13] <#cite_note-12>

In a publicly available correspondence between Bhikkhu Bodhi
</wiki/Bhikkhu_Bodhi>  and B. Alan Wallace </wiki/B._Alan_Wallace> ,
Bodhi has described Ven. Nyanaponika Thera </wiki/Nyanaponika_Thera> 's
views on "right mindfulness" and sampajañña in the following fashion:

"... He held that in the proper practice of right mindfulness, sati has
to be integrated with sampajañña, clear comprehension, and it is only
when these two work together that right mindfulness can fulfill its
intended purpose."[14] <#cite_note-13>

English Pali Sanskrit Chinese Tibetan  mindfulness sati smṛti
स्मृति nian 念 trenpa (wylie: dran pa)  awareness
sampajañña samprajaña संप्रज्ञान zheng
zhi li 正知力 sheshin (wylie: shes bzhin)
vigilance/heedfulness appamada apramāda
ज्ञानकोश bu fang yi 不æ"¾é€¸ï¼› wu zong
yi 無縱逸;li zhu fang yi 離諸æ"¾é€¸ bakyö (wylie:
bag yod)  ardency atappa ātapaḥ आतप yong meng
勇猛 nyima (wylie: nyi ma)  attention/engagement manasikara
manaskāraḥ मनस्कार ru li zuo yi
如理作意 yila jeypa (wylie: yid la byed pa)  foundation of
mindfulness satipaṭṭhāna smṛtyupasthāna ? trenpa
neybar zagpa (wylie: dran pa nye bar gzhag pa)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindfulness_(Buddhism

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Dave P" <wookielife...@...> wrote:

> I have wondered about the word itself, and it sounds like it isn't the
best fit.

> However, I've noted that some have described what is translated as
"nothingness" is better translated as "no thingness," as in nothing is
with inherent form

> I wonder if something similar could be said about mindfullness.
"Mindful" in the Western sense seems to be directing your attention in
one direction, However, maybe a better translation is "mind fullness,"
as in you experience everything with the fullness of your mind. Or am I
way off here?