From: ED
Sent: Friday, December 31, 2010 10:41 PM
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Zen] Re: Mindfulness pt 2

Related terms and practices

Although sati/smrti is the primary term that is usually invoked by the word
mindfulness in a Buddhist context, it has been asserted "in Buddhist discourse,
there are three terms that together map the field of mindfulness . . . [in
their Sanskrit variants] smṛti (Pali: sati), samprajaña (Pali: sampajañña)
and apramāda (Pali: appamada)."[12]

All three terms are sometimes (confusingly) translated as "mindfulness," but
they all have specific shades of meaning and the latter two might be glossed as
"awareness" and "vigilance," respectively.

In the Satipatthana Sutta, sati and sampajañña are combined with atappa (Pali;
Sanskrit: ātapaḥ), or "ardency," and the three together comprise yoniso
manisikara (Pali; Sanskrit: yoniśas manaskāraḥ), "appropriate
attention."[13]

In a publicly available correspondence between Bhikkhu Bodhi and B. Alan
Wallace, Bodhi has described Ven. Nyanaponika Thera's views on "right
mindfulness" and sampajañña in the following fashion:

"... He held that in the proper practice of right mindfulness, sati has to be
integrated with sampajañña, clear comprehension, and it is only when these two
work together that right mindfulness can fulfill its intended purpose."[14]

      English Pali Sanskrit Chinese Tibetan
      mindfulness sati smṛti स्मृति nian 念 trenpa (wylie: dran
pa)
      awareness sampajañña samprajaña संप्रज्ञान zheng zhi
li 正知力 sheshin (wylie: shes bzhin)
      vigilance/heedfulness appamada apramāda ज्ञानकोश bu fang
yi 不æ"¾é€¸ï¼› wu zong yi 無縱逸;li zhu fang yi 離諸æ"¾é€¸ bakyö
(wylie: bag yod)
      ardency atappa ātapaḥ आतप yong meng 勇猛 nyima (wylie: nyi ma)
      attention/engagement manasikara manaskāraḥ मनस्कार ru li
zuo yi 如理作意 yila jeypa (wylie: yid la byed pa)
      foundation of mindfulness satipaṭṭhāna smṛtyupasthāna ? trenpa
neybar zagpa (wylie: dran pa nye bar gzhag pa)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindfulness_(Buddhism)