--- In [email protected], "Dave P" <wookielife...@...> wrote:
>
> I've been trying to keep up with the zazen, mostly with success, and keeping
> up with the mindfulness, but I still have the nagging question that troubles
> my OCD:
>
> What do I do when, in order to confront my OCD, I must do something that
> feels "wrong," that feels like I'm endangering myself?
>
> I know you're not experts on OCD, but you must have had some experience with
> a fear that seemed completely rational. It is, of course, the uncertainty
> that hurts the most. Any suggestions?
>
Hi Dave. When I was younger, I was troubled by obssesive checking behavior. I
have found that, for me, it is a matter of just being mindful of the anxiety,
as it arises, without either trying to run away from it or run toward it. And
then I choose to do something else that is unrelated in order to redirect my
attention. In my case, I enjoy karate, so I would go work on a kata, or form
exercise. But any activity that you enjoy will do. The OCD is just a glitch in
your amygdala brain center. Just be mindful of it, label it as just a glitch
that is not really "you", and then redirect your attention to something else.
Worked for me.
Steve
------------------------------------
Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are
reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/
<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional
<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join
(Yahoo! ID required)
<*> To change settings via email:
[email protected]
[email protected]
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[email protected]
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/