--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Dave P" <wookielife...@...> wrote:

> I've been trying to keep up with the zazen, mostly with success, and keeping
> up with the mindfulness, but I still have the nagging question that troubles
> my OCD:
>
> What do I do when, in order to confront my OCD, I must do something that
> feels "wrong," that feels like I'm endangering myself?
>
> I know you're not experts on OCD, but you must have had some experience with
> a fear that seemed completely rational. It is, of course, the uncertainty
> that hurts the most. Any suggestions?

  Hi Dave. When I was younger, I was troubled by obssesive checking behavior. I
have found that, for me, it is a matter of just being mindful of the anxiety,
as it arises, without either trying to run away from it or run toward it. And
then I choose to do something else that is unrelated in order to redirect my
attention. In my case, I enjoy karate, so I would go work on a kata, or form
exercise. But any activity that you enjoy will do. The OCD is just a glitch in
your amygdala brain center. Just be mindful of it, label it as just a glitch
that is not really "you", and then redirect your attention to something else.
Worked for me.
Steve