Hi Anthony!:) Very curious! I just checked in to read here, and wanted to add a comment to this.. I actually feel the opposite is true for me.. Certainty-- in my experience , indicates a presense of ego. That need to feel " right:, or "sure" that such a thing, thought, or experience is correct. Hope all is well with you.. I'm learning about Japan-- a wonderful place to be! *bows*.. K
--- On Wed, 1/12/11, Anthony Wu <[email protected]> wrote: From: Anthony Wu <[email protected]> Subject: Re: [Zen] Re: So what should I do? To: [email protected] Date: Wednesday, January 12, 2011, 5:13 PM Dave, Don't take uncertainty lightly. It is a difficult problem. I have uncertainty too. Though I understand it is, at least in part. caused by a strong ego, I cannot overcome ego either. So lets work together. Anthony --- On Thu, 13/1/11, Dave P <[email protected]> wrote: From: Dave P <[email protected]> Subject: [Zen] Re: So what should I do? To: [email protected] Date: Thursday, 13 January, 2011, 6:47 AM I understand where you're coming from, but for me the problem is contamination. Since everyone has a desire to be healthy, I don't know what's a healthy way of avoiding contamination and what's an unhealthy way. How do you deal with the uncertainty? --- In [email protected], "SteveW" <eugnostos2...@...> wrote: > > > > --- In [email protected], "Dave P" <wookielifeday@> wrote: > > > > I've been trying to keep up with the zazen, mostly with success, and > > keeping up with the mindfulness, but I still have the nagging question that > > troubles my OCD: > > > > What do I do when, in order to confront my OCD, I must do something that > > feels "wrong," that feels like I'm endangering myself? > > > > I know you're not experts on OCD, but you must have had some experience > > with a fear that seemed completely rational. It is, of course, the > > uncertainty that hurts the most. Any suggestions? > > > Hi Dave. When I was younger, I was troubled by obssesive checking behavior. I > have found that, for me, it is a matter of just being mindful of the anxiety, > as it arises, without either trying to run away from it or run toward it. And > then I choose to do something else that is unrelated in order to redirect my > attention. In my case, I enjoy karate, so I would go work on a kata, or form > exercise. But any activity that you enjoy will do. The OCD is just a glitch > in your amygdala brain center. Just be mindful of it, label it as just a > glitch that is not really "you", and then redirect your attention to > something else. Worked for me. > Steve >
