*chuckles* You said a mouthful with that! k
--- On Thu, 1/13/11, Bill! <[email protected]> wrote: From: Bill! <[email protected]> Subject: [Zen] Re: So what should I do? To: [email protected] Date: Thursday, January 13, 2011, 5:52 PM Anthony, Some call that corruption, some call it patronage. In the USA we call it a commission. ...Bill! --- In [email protected], Anthony Wu <wuasg@...> wrote: > > Kristy, > > Another thing that impressed me is a lack of corruption in Japan. Yes? Maybe > they know how to conceal it. The same is in Singapore. The opposite is in > China and Indonesia. They say if you invest $100, $95 goes to corrupt > officials in Russia, but 'only' $70 in China. The remaining $30 has made > phenomenal progress in the country. > > Anthony > > --- On Fri, 14/1/11, Kristy McClain <healthyplay1@...> wrote: > > From: Kristy McClain <healthyplay1@...> > Subject: Re: [Zen] Re: So what should I do? > To: [email protected] > Date: Friday, 14 January, 2011, 7:51 AM > > > > > > > >  > > > > > > > > > > Anthony, >  > Perhaps you are correct about the Japanese, but they built a strong economy > post-war. They are polite-- a welcome respite from the slick rudeness of > American pundits and people. What intrigues me now is the difference in > hospital administration here.  I'm learning a great deal. >  > As to the other, uncertainty is the only certainty. Thus, welcoming it into > our circle at the tea table can perhaps provide a counter-balance to many of > the other egotistic influences in our lives. I see it as a means wherein > I am comforted that the bad stuff will cease in time, and the good stuff > won't last forever. So my heart is humbled, and my gratitude expands. >  > Shall we take tea together? ;) >  > *bows* >  > Kristy >  > > > --- On Thu, 1/13/11, Anthony Wu <wuasg@...> wrote: > > > From: Anthony Wu <wuasg@...> > Subject: Re: [Zen] Re: So what should I do? > To: [email protected] > Date: Thursday, January 13, 2011, 3:52 PM > > >  > > > > > > > Kristy, >  > Maybe both certainty and uncertainty are expressions of ego. In my case, just > like Dave's, I am bothered by uncertainty associated with profit and loss. > But after a good zazen session, when dualistic thinking is weaker, I feel > more certain. >  > Different people experience different aspects in the land of the rising yen. > After all, they are hardworking. If you arrive in Europe or the USA on Friday > afternoon and want to talk business, the best counteroffer you obtain is an > invitation to a restaurant or a gold club. But in Japan, considering you have > come a long way, they don't mind talking business on Sunday. But that was ten > years ago. I hope they stay the same right now, though most people there > realized their prime time is over. >  > Anthony > > > --- On Thu, 13/1/11, Kristy McClain <healthyplay1@...> wrote: > > > From: Kristy McClain <healthyplay1@...> > Subject: Re: [Zen] Re: So what should I do? > To: [email protected] > Date: Thursday, 13 January, 2011, 9:59 AM > > >  > > > > > > > Hi Anthony!:) >  > Very curious! I just checked in to read here, and wanted to add a comment > to this.. >  > I actually feel the opposite is true for me.. Certainty-- in my experience , > indicates a presense of ego. That need to feel " right:, or "sure" that > such a thing, thought, or experience is correct. >  > Hope all is well with you.. I'm learning about Japan-- a wonderful place to > be! >  > *bows*.. K > > > --- On Wed, 1/12/11, Anthony Wu <wuasg@...> wrote: > > > From: Anthony Wu <wuasg@...> > Subject: Re: [Zen] Re: So what should I do? > To: [email protected] > Date: Wednesday, January 12, 2011, 5:13 PM > > >  > > > > > > Dave, > > Don't take uncertainty lightly. It is a difficult problem. I have uncertainty > too. > > Though I understand it is, at least in part. caused by a strong ego, I cannot > overcome ego either. So lets work together. > > Anthony > > --- On Thu, 13/1/11, Dave P <wookielifeday@...> wrote: > > > From: Dave P <wookielifeday@...> > Subject: [Zen] Re: So what should I do? > To: [email protected] > Date: Thursday, 13 January, 2011, 6:47 AM > > >  > > I understand where you're coming from, but for me the problem is > contamination. Since everyone has a desire to be healthy, I don't know what's > a healthy way of avoiding contamination and what's an unhealthy way. > > How do you deal with the uncertainty? > > --- In [email protected], "SteveW" <eugnostos2000@> wrote: > > > > > > > > --- In [email protected], "Dave P" <wookielifeday@> wrote: > > > > > > I've been trying to keep up with the zazen, mostly with success, and > > > keeping up with the mindfulness, but I still have the nagging question > > > that troubles my OCD: > > > > > > What do I do when, in order to confront my OCD, I must do something that > > > feels "wrong," that feels like I'm endangering myself? > > > > > > I know you're not experts on OCD, but you must have had some experience > > > with a fear that seemed > completely rational. It is, of course, the uncertainty that hurts the most. > Any suggestions? > > > > > Hi Dave. When I was younger, I was troubled by obssesive checking behavior. > > I have found that, for me, it is a matter of just being mindful of the > > anxiety, as it arises, without either trying to run away from it or run > > toward it. And then I choose to do something else that is unrelated in > > order to redirect my attention. In my case, I enjoy karate, so I would go > > work on a kata, or form exercise. But any activity that you enjoy will do. > > The OCD is just a glitch in your amygdala brain center. Just be mindful of > > it, label it as just a glitch that is not really "you", and then redirect > > your attention to something else. Worked for me. > > > Steve > > >
