Hi there Chris!

--- On Thu, 13/1/11, ChrisAustinLane <ch...@austin-lane.net> wrote:

From: ChrisAustinLane <ch...@austin-lane.net>
Subject: Re: [Zen] Not understanding mindfulness
To: "Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com" <Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com>
Cc: "Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com" <Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com>

I do not think that followers of Judaism try very much to recruit new converts.
MEL: You're quite right. I do get the impression that they're somewhat more
subtle though(except in Jerusalem, apparently). Once they know you're
interested, keen, and genuine, the evangelical hornets do come out of the nest

In Jerusalem, it was reported some time ago that an Armenian congregation
marching down a path had their old but highly revered wooden cross(200 years
old?) smashed by a group of very zealous/fanatical Jewish students. In the
report, it was said that it was also apparently not unusual for devout
Christians(even priests) to be spat on and verbally abused as well by
these young boys during pilgrimages to the Holy Land. I would personally
say...well...yes, this could be a form of Jewish 'evangelism'...sort of .....
Christianity and Islam are a bit more evangelistic,
MEL: Yes, they are...especially these days...and those 2 are competing with
each other for fresh recruits all the time, and I thought the Mormons and JWs
were bad enough

With the Muslims, there seem to be this constant trumpet-blowing about how many
have left Christendom and  joined Islam every month(or year) according to the
latest statistics or reports(What reports/statistics??!!). I mean, hey, one's
gotta do what one's gotta do to increase the army of the child-molestor(the
prophet), yeah?
but I am left wondering about what you mean by Semitic evangelism.
MEL: I often use the term 'semitic' to save having to type
Christian/Islamic/Jewish, and for all other Middle Eastern folk near and/or
around the Fertile Crescent and Gulf regions. Academically, that may not be
right(especially as I've put the Egyptians and Iranians/Persians in the same
basket)

I'm rather hesitant with the Jews, but I find the other 2 to be quite keen on
spreading their faith...and therefore why I used the term 'semitic evangelism'
I ask for clarification on this forum because of some threads that asserted
that westerner folk who pursue zen tend to be more contaminated with Semitic
ideals of good and evil than those from Eastern societies.
MEL:...Ummm....you might want to blame that one on me, but that's what I
personally tend to see. There is no good or evil in Zen. There's only activity.
Once one starts categorizing which are good or bad, then a problem may
ensue(Buddha just acts...just is..). For example, I see nothing wrong with.....

- capital punishment
- abortion on demand
- contraception

...and so on, because that's what comes out of me. We all have our own
conscience on one thing or another, whether they were learned(drummed into us),
or not. As adults, we all make our choices. Just my personal view
So is it the dualism or the evangelism that is claimed to be Semitic?
MEL: The dualism might be ED's(I think, if I remember correctly), and the
evangelism part is mine
I wonder if you Mel agree with Ed that my original line about the peach And the
painting was in fact evangelistic?
MEL: I've been looking up the above in the archives and I found the
'peach' posting but not the 'painting' bit. The thing is(and I think I've
explained it to ED already, albeit indirectly) that when one is in a spiritual
and/or religious forum that one will eventually be asked to make the choice
of....are they in, or are they out? That can be clear and direct, or
subtle(subtle, but only for a short while). The fence-sitters eventually stick
out like a sore thumbs, especially by the way they post on forums, or message
boards...and they often get abused but that is to be expected. I did, when I
was in an Islamic forum

Let's take the Muslims for a moment. I have worked with quite a few of them,
and I asked this and that question about the Qur'an. Well, they soon got tired
of me, because I wasn't willing to convert. In the end, some of them were
starting to get quite annoyed and so I decided not to speak to them of Islam
from then on. I work with them. That is enough(and I don't read the hadiths or
the Qur'an in front of them)

In this instance, ED is seriously interested in analysing Zen and keeping it
all academic, or at least that's what I see so far. He can do that, and it's no
good stopping him. Let him. However, academic conclusions will draw either
derision, or silence. If you find his ideas as disagreeable, then so be it.
It's no good asking academics and the like to do zazen before they make
attempts to talk any sort of substance. It leads to nothing fruitful, but
that's just my view. If they're completely off the mark...ah,
well.......because for the rest of us, zazen practise is indeed very good

I've agreed with ED on certain points, but I'll let him find out for himself.
He's an adult. Let us give him the freedom to make his choices. Lastly, if his
statements are too outrageous, I say let it be so....but that's just me

This is just the thing about Zen...we all eventually become our own counsellors
through the concept of emptiness...or nothingness...BIG MIND...something, or
another(*laughter*)....Zensters see it there, but isn't there...and
unfortunately, an experience that pure academics may not comprehend

For the record, while I myself answer 'sit' to people seem receptive to that
method of easing living, I do so with an implicit assertion that they are free
individuals and will work out their path according to their own lights.
MEL: Absolutely Chris, I couldn't agree more. That is what separates us from
the Semites. Now, I'm being dualistic here but I only say that because some of
their flock try so hard to bring me back from being that...well...that 'lost
and wandering sheep'...*more laughter*....and back into Yahweh's fold...

The sheep's fold....and all Semites are sheep, and some in this world obviously
think I need another sheep's bath in the fold after having been 'lost' for so
long

Thanks,
Chris Austin-Lane
Sent from a cell phone

MEL: My pleasure
PS. Obligatory zen story:

A politician visits the wise zen master and asks the secret. The master
replies, "do what is good and do not do what is not good." the politician rolls
his eyes and says, "my kid can tell me that!" the master says, "we all know
this, but even this wise zen master has trouble doing it."

MEL:....(*BIG LAUGHTER*)...I loved it, thank you!

in peace
Mel