Very well put. Joriki Dat Baker.  Indeed... :-)

Please post more. ..

http://chanjmjm.blogspot.com
http://www.heartchan.org

On 12/31/2010 12:06 PM, Joriki Dat Baker wrote:

Dave, "mindfulness" can be a misunderstood word. The word itself is not a good translation for Samadhi. When we think of the word `mindfulness', we imagine corralling the mind and pushing it into one direction. I have watched some practice mindfulness in `kinhin' or walking meditation, and during this time they forced their attention at every little leaf and bug. When viewed, this sort of `mindfulness' looks forced and contrived and is far from the true meaning. Mindfulness is not a game, it is not an activity in which one needs to artificially look at every detail, it is an effortless activity which has no direction or object; hence we find true mindfulness. Mindfulness is like setting sail in the winds of the present moment without a need for a direction or preference. When we learn to do this/practice, we are truly present and we begin to see life as it truly is. Now this forced mindfulness I spoke of in my introduction, looks and sounds somewhat like Samadhi; however, it is not. With that being said, you may truly stop and see/watch the leaf and bug as they truly are, on and so on, one moment turns into another and the leaf and bug fade away as the tree and wind arise. True Mindfulness is like riding the waves of the sea, no effort is needed yet there is a vivid direction. In regards to your OCD, I would not recommend mindfulness in the common sense; however, I would recommend meditation practice in full with the friendship of a teacher or sangha. I have worked with men and women in the past who have OCD and they have communicated relief with ongoing Zen/Meditation Practice. Moreover, your concern is valid if we look at the practice of mindfulness as forced and contrived – this was good insight on your part, this need to force and push is something that many of us struggle with. As I described above, Samadhi is not forced nor is it "stuck", Samadhi is a state free from these issues. I would recommend you find a good teacher, in whatever tradition you are attracted to and start practicing. There are many tools and traditions within Buddhism which will guide you, they all are mere window dressings though. The true core is what they all point to. I would also recommend being open with your/the teacher about your OCD and create a solid relationship with him/her based on trust. You might also want to create a protocol so that if your anxiety or thoughts become to intense you have a game plan to collect yourself; don't forget to talk to the jisha or teacher about it though. Also, start out slow, try ten minutes, then twenty, then thirty ect. and you will soon work your way up to a solid round. In closing, I hear many people explain that they can't hold onto the serenity they find on the mat, or in their "everyday" world. I perceive there are a few reasons for this, although I will only touch on a couple. The first is the division that we create between the spiritual world and the everyday world (absolute/relative). There is a tendency to view our world through a dualistic filter and this creates the separation that binds us. These two worlds are truly not two at all, they are the same and neither. The only difference between the two is the one we create. Blurring those lines takes some practice and a lot of letting go. True Mindfulness or Samadhi is the tool by which we blur and ultimately erase these lines. The second reason is the attachment and delusion that arises when we hold onto our experiences. When we `see' the present moment, we are experiencing the dharma for briefs flashes. Soon after these flashes, thoughts and concepts arise which replace the passing moment and soon the experience is digested. One of the tools we use to digest the Dharma is duality. Our brain pines to make sense of the moment and it uses its store house of previous experiences to make sense of the new. If there is new information, even ever so slight, the brain will actually fuse the new information with the old. So we may not be able to hold onto our kensho experiences but, change has occurred. It has become something that is based in the Dharma however, is not IT. This is where the idea comes from that words can not fully explain the Dharma but, they should also never be a barrier. Moreover, the reason we can not remain in the present moment continuously is due to our nature, and our nature is to digest and make sense of the experiences we have gathered. In order to do this, we need to step back from the present to digest the past – this is how we learn. Coming full circle, when we are truly mindful or in Samadhi the mind is at rest and the waves that has tossed our ship so violently in the passed have become ripples which feather out ever so softly and leave without a trace.

In the Dharma,
A Friend Of The Way