JDB, does this below look right to you?  --ED

"Mindfulness (Pali </wiki/Pali> : sati, Sanskrit </wiki/Sanskrit> :
smṛti) plays a central role in the teaching of Buddhist meditation
</wiki/Buddhist_meditation>  where it is affirmed that "correct" or
"right" mindfulness (Pali </wiki/Pali> : sammā-sati, Sanskrit
</wiki/Sanskrit>  samyak-smṛti) is the critical factor in the path
to liberation </wiki/Moksha>  and subsequent enlightenment </wiki/Bodhi>

For more on the concept in early Buddhism, see also sampajañña
</wiki/Sampaja%C3%B1%C3%B1a> .

Described as a calm awareness of one's body functions, feelings, content
of consciousness, or consciousness itself, it is the seventh element of
the Noble Eightfold Path </wiki/Noble_Eightfold_Path> , the practice of
which supports analysis </wiki/Vipassana>  resulting in the development
of wisdom </wiki/Wisdom_in_Buddhism>  (Pali: paññā, Sanskrit:
prajñā </wiki/Praj%C3%B1%C4%81> ).

The Satipatthana Sutta </wiki/Satipatthana_Sutta>  (Sanskrit:
Smṛtyupasthāna Sūtra) is one of the foremost early texts
dealing with mindfulness. A key innovative teaching of the Buddha was
that meditative stabilisation </wiki/Jhana>  must be combined with
liberating discernment.[1] <#cite_note-0>

Mindfulness practice, inherited from the Buddhist tradition, is
increasingly being employed in Western psychology </wiki/Psychology>  to
alleviate a variety of mental and physical conditions, including
obsessive-compulsive disorder and anxiety and in the prevention of
relapse in depression and drug addiction.[2] <#cite_note-1>  See also
Mindfulness (psychology) </wiki/Mindfulness_(psychology)> .

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindfulness_(Buddhism> )

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Joriki Dat Baker" <ko...@...> wrote:
Dave, "mindfulness" can be a misunderstood word. The word itself is not
a good
translation for Samadhi. When we think of the word `mindfulness', we
corralling the mind and pushing it into one direction. I have watched
practice mindfulness in `kinhin' or walking meditation, and during this
they forced their attention at every little leaf and bug. When viewed,
this sort
of `mindfulness' looks forced and contrived and is far from the true
Mindfulness is not a game, it is not an activity in which one needs to
artificially look at every detail, it is an effortless activity which
has no
direction or object; hence we find true mindfulness. Mindfulness is like
sail in the winds of the present moment without a need for a direction
preference. When we learn to do this/practice, we are truly present and
we begin
to see life as it truly is. Now this forced mindfulness I spoke of in my
introduction, looks and sounds somewhat like Samadhi; however, it is
not. With
that being said, you may truly stop and see/watch the leaf and bug as
they truly
are, on and so on, one moment turns into another and the leaf and bug
fade away
as the tree and wind arise. True Mindfulness is like riding the waves of
sea, no effort is needed yet there is a vivid direction.
In regards to your OCD, I would not recommend mindfulness in the common
however, I would recommend meditation practice in full with the
friendship of a
teacher or sangha. I have worked with men and women in the past who have
OCD and
they have communicated relief with ongoing Zen/Meditation Practice.
your concern is valid if we look at the practice of mindfulness as
forced and
contrived – this was good insight on your part, this need to force
and push is
something that many of us struggle with. As I described above, Samadhi
is not
forced nor is it "stuck", Samadhi is a state free from these issues. I
recommend you find a good teacher, in whatever tradition you are
attracted to
and start practicing. There are many tools and traditions within
Buddhism which
will guide you, they all are mere window dressings though. The true core
is what
they all point to. I would also recommend being open with your/the
about your OCD and create a solid relationship with him/her based on
trust. You
might also want to create a protocol so that if your anxiety or thoughts
to intense you have a game plan to collect yourself; don't forget to
talk to the
jisha or teacher about it though. Also, start out slow, try ten minutes,
twenty, then thirty ect. and you will soon work your way up to a solid
In closing, I hear many people explain that they can't hold onto the
they find on the mat, or in their "everyday" world. I perceive there are
a few
reasons for this, although I will only touch on a couple. The first is
division that we create between the spiritual world and the everyday
(absolute/relative). There is a tendency to view our world through a
filter and this creates the separation that binds us. These two worlds
are truly
not two at all, they are the same and neither. The only difference
between the
two is the one we create. Blurring those lines takes some practice and a
lot of
letting go. True Mindfulness or Samadhi is the tool by which we blur and
ultimately erase these lines. The second reason is the attachment and
that arises when we hold onto our experiences. When we `see' the present
we are experiencing the dharma for briefs flashes. Soon after these
thoughts and concepts arise which replace the passing moment and soon
experience is digested. One of the tools we use to digest the Dharma is
Our brain pines to make sense of the moment and it uses its store house
previous experiences to make sense of the new. If there is new
information, even
ever so slight, the brain will actually fuse the new information with
the old.
So we may not be able to hold onto our kensho experiences but, change
occurred. It has become something that is based in the Dharma however,
is not
IT. This is where the idea comes from that words can not fully explain
Dharma but, they should also never be a barrier. Moreover, the reason we
can not
remain in the present moment continuously is due to our nature, and our
is to digest and make sense of the experiences we have gathered. In
order to do
this, we need to step back from the present to digest the past –
this is how we
learn. Coming full circle, when we are truly mindful or in Samadhi the
mind is
at rest and the waves that has tossed our ship so violently in the
passed have
become ripples which feather out ever so softly and leave without a

In the Dharma,
A Friend Of The Way

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
80cBj326iDs-WmkEWh4EXldoNYEwpOWpHduuZfoL1uxCw> , "Dave P"
<wookielife...@...> wrote:
> I haven't been on here for a long time, and I apologize for just
barging in
with a new topic, but I'm having a hard time with the concept of
> I have been suffering from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) for a
time, and lately it has gotten worse. I don't want to get into details
here, but
it revolves around both ethical and health choices in diet and just
> What I don't understand is how mindfulness can help, because to my
(pardon the pun) mindfulness means paying attention to everything, and
anything OCD people pay too much attention. I worry about everything,
intellectually I can understand just observing my emotions, but there is
constant feeling that I MUST DO SOMETHING, that if I don't do things
right I
will die. Hence I'm much more vigilant.
> Am I getting the whole concept of mindfulness wrong? Is there anything
I can
read that could help me with this?