"Nondualism is the idea that things appear distinct while not being
separate." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-duality
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-duality>



Bill,

Is the above statement about non-duality acceptable? If not, what would
be your attempt to state in words what non-duality is about? Is one of
the objectives of zen or Zen to experience non-duality on an ongoing
basis?

Thanks,

--ED



--- In [email protected], "Bill!" <BillSmart@...> wrote:
>
> Joe,
>
> I respectfully disagree.
>
> The very word 'observer' implies duality. There is someone or
something observing, and someone or something that is the object of the
observation.
>
> Perhaps when you say 'observe' you mean the same thing that I mean
when I say 'aware'. Awareness does not imply duality - at least in the
Bill! lexicon.
>
> It's okay when we disagree about things, especially about words and
their meaning; but it is important at least to me that we resolve the
terms enough to be able to communicate well.
>
> I didn't understand the rest of your comments about Buddha, different
states, advice and compassion.
>
> ...Bill!




> --- In [email protected], "maitreya003" joultimo@ wrote:
> >
> >
> > Bill,
> > Observed object and observer is not duality. Observer and object can
exist free from duality. This is how a buddha can forever be in the
world while being in the state that most of the high beings on the site
must negate the world to maintain. Which also explains why most advice
and the state of being through which that advice arises lacks
compassion.
> >
> > Joe


> > --- In [email protected], "Bill!" <BillSmart@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I would think that any comparison of Vulcans and zen is 'way off'.
> > >
> > > To answer your question, anything that involves observing does not
sound like zen to me. In the zen I practice there are no dualities such
as observer/observed (subject/object)...Bill!




> > > --- In [email protected], "Dave P" <wookielifeday@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > This is another strange question, but I've been watching a lot
of Star Trek, and there's frequent mentioning of how the Vulcans are not
actually unemotional, but simply observe their emotions and not let them
control their actions. Does this sound Zen to anyone here, or am I way
off.?


Reply via email to