"However, clear seeing does provide the impetus to deliberately work to
deprive bad habits of their motive energy and replace them with good habits
of > thought, word and deed. This is in line with the Korean Son approach of
Instant Enlightenment/Gradual Cultivation."

Steve,

You Will not be surprised, then, to learn that what little formal training 
in Zen I
have received comes from a Korean lineage. <grin>
http://www.kwanumzen.org/dssn/
http://www.kwanumzen.org/teachers/teachers-body.html#seong-hyang
http://www.kwanumzen.org/teachers/teachers-body.html#seong-hyang

Dana
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "SteveW" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2011 9:33 PM
Subject: [Zen] Re: Spock?


>
>
> --- In [email protected], "Dana S. Leslie" <dsleslie3@...> wrote:
>>
>> "In 'zen' or 'Zen', it is believed that wisdom, compassion will emerge
>> from
>> the practice of shikantaza itself, and the experiencing of one's true
>> nature."
>>
>>
>> Read as a claim of empirical fact, I'm not sure if the above is true or
>> not;
>> or where the evidence would be, either way. But, the more I reflect on
>> it,
>> the more I suspect there might not be much of a muchness between what
>> each
>> of us is saying, after all.
>>
>>
>>
>> Does one's time on the cushion cultivating Buddha mind, by itself,
>> naturally result in benevalent, compassionate, and wise action when off
>> the
>> cushion; or does deliberate cultivation of these virtues when off the
>> cushion supplement one's cultivation of Buddha mind when on the cushion?
>> I
>> suspect that here, again, we have a virtuous circle, as regards a theory
>> of
>> causation.
>>
>>
>>
>> But, as regards pragmatic "recommendations" to the student/practitioner,
>> beyond the practice of zazen, itself (the original question, I believe),
>> I
>> think it is often helpful to focus on the cultivation, in every-day life
>> off
>> the cushion, of loving kindness, compassion, wisdom, sympathetic joy, and
>> equanimity, quite apart from one's sitting practice. A sitting practice
>> alone will usually grow stale and arid, at some point. When this happens,
>> I
>> don't fight it, forcing myself to sit despite my lack of enthusiasm for
>> doing so. Instead, I shift my focus to some other practice, bowing,
>> chanting, deliberate cultivation, in every-day life, of the virtues
>> already
>> listed, , etc. When the cushion begins to call to me once again, I know i
>> am
>> ready to shift my practice back again, to include more time on the
>> cushion.
>>
>>
>>
>> Dana
>>
>> Hi Dana. I tend to agree with you on this, particularly with the
> idea of a "virtuous circle". One reason is that, in my personal
> life, I have not noticed that clear seeing, in itself, is enough to
> eliminate negative habits of thought, speech and action. However,
> clear seeing does provide the impetus to deliberately work to deprive bad
> habits of their motive energy and replace them with good habits of
> thought, word and deed. This is in line with the Korean Son approach
> of Instant Enlightenment/Gradual Cultivation.
> Steve
>>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are
> reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
> __________ NOD32 5854 (20110207) Information __________
>
> This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
> http://www.eset.com
>
>



------------------------------------

Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are 
reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to