edgar's pole is somewhere in the land of reason..far far away...  merle

Siska,

As you'll soon find out Edgar and I have almost the polar opposite opinion on
just about everything.  In fact he'll probably disagree with this statement ;>)
and will certainly jump all over the rest of this post.

Rumi's poem/metaphor was:

I looked for my self,
But my self was gone.
The boundaries of my being
Had disappeared in the sea.
Waves broke.  Awareness rose again.
And a voice returned me to myself.
It always happens like this.
Sea turns on itself and foams,
And with every foaming bit another body.
Another being takes form.
And when the sea sends word,
Each foaming body melts back to ocean-breath.
- Rumi

I can just imagine Rumi standing on the beach watching the waves form, come
rhythmically in, crash upon the beach and then spend themselves by slipping
back into the sea - losing himself in Buddha Nature and later composing this
poem.  My interpretation of it is:

I looked for my self,
But my self was gone.
The boundaries of my being
Had disappeared in the sea.

Rumi is describing the holistic experience of Buddha Nature.  The illusion of
dualism has vanished and his illusion of 'self' as something independent and
apart from everything else has vanished with it.  It has vanished into sea
which is a metaphor for emptiness.

Waves broke.  Awareness rose again.
And a voice returned me to myself.
It always happens like this.

Dualism returns.  His holistic experience of Buddha Nature has been interrupted
and his illusion of self has returned.  This alternation between holism and
dualism, between emptiness and self happens regularly, much like the waves
surging rhythmically upon the beach.

Sea turns on itself and foams,
And with every foaming bit another body.
Another being takes form.

Now that he is abiding in dualism all otherillusions, perceptions, thoughts,
etc..., of all other (10,000) things appear.

And when the sea sends word,
Each foaming body melts back to ocean-breath.

But when he returns again to Buddha Nature all these illusions melt back into
emptiness.

That's my reading of this anyway.  It will be interesting to see what Edgar
comes up with although I think I could almost write it for him...

...Bill!