On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Frank Cusack <fr...@linetwo.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha <w...@fajar.net> wrote:
>>
>> So basically the question is if you install solaris on one machine,
>> can you move the disk (in this case the usb stick) to another machine
>> and boot it there, right?
>
> Yes, but one of the machines is a virtual machine.

It shouldn't matter, really. As far as solaris (or any other is) is
concerned, it's just a different machine.

>> The answer, as far as I know, is NO, you can't. Of course, I could be
>> wrong though (and in this case I'll be happy if I'm wrong :D ). IIRC
>> the only supported way to move (or clone) solaris installation is by
>> using flash archive (flar), which (now) should also work on zfs.
>

> If we ignore the vbox aspect of it, and assume real hardware with real
> devices, of course you can install on one x86 hardware and move the drive to
> boot on another x86 hardware.  This is harder on SPARC (b/c hostid and zfs
> mount issues) but still possible.

Have you tried? :D

IIRC there was a discussion about it (several years ago, I think), and
the issue back then was that there might be some necessary device
nodes not available when you simply move the disk around.

> The weird thing here is that the install hardware is a virtual machine.  One
> thing I know is odd is that the USB drive is seen to the virtual machine as
> a SATA drive

That's how it works when you use rawdisk passthrough. Virtualbox does
not have the necessary USB-boot support (yet).
Think of it like you have a SATA disk with usb enclosure, but now you
remove the enclosure and plug it directly to the onboard SATA
controller.

> but when moved to the real hardware it's seen as a USB drive.

... and that's how it should be

> There may be something else going on here that someone more familiar with
> vbox may know more about.
>
> Since this works seamlessly when the zpool in question is just a data pool,
> I'm wondering why it doesn't work when it's a boot drive.

I have a hunch that it might be something related to grub. Trying something ...

--
Fajar