On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Frank Cusack <fr...@linetwo.net> wrote:
> I haven't been able to get this working.  To keep it simpler, next I am
> going to try usbcopy of the live USB image in the VM, and see if I can boot
> real hardware from the resultant live USB stick.

To be clear, I'm talking about two things:
(1) live USB, created from Live CD
(2) solaris installed on USB

This first one works on real hardware, but not on a VM. The cause is
simple: seems like a boot code somewhere searches ONLY removable media
for live solaris image. Since you need to map the USB disk as regular
disk (SATA/IDE/SCSI) in a VM to be able to boot from it, you won't be
able to boot live usb on a VM.

The second one works on both real hardare and VM, BUT with a
prequisite that you have to export-import rpool first on that
particular system. Unless you already have solaris installed, this
usually means you need to boot with a live cd/usb first.

I'm not sure what you mean by "usbcopy of the live USB image in the
VM, and see if I can boot real hardware from the resultant live USB
stick.". If you're trying to create (1), it'd be simpler to just use
live cd on real hardware, and if necessary create live usb there (MUCH
faster than on a VM). If you mean (2), then it won't work unless you
boot with live cd/usb first.

Oh and for reference, instead of usbcopy, I prefer using this method:
http://blogs.oracle.com/jim/entry/how_to_create_a_usb

--
Fajar