 Hi James,

Am 20.05.14 23:31, schrieb James Hoyt:
> Oh yeah I'm sorry. I meant I'd upgrade to the latest dev version of
> MacZFS ^^
>
> I think I'm confused between zfs create vs zpool create. If you
> want to point me to any links, I'll read them up along with what
> exactly Normalization is.

 A quite informative (but technical) article regarding RaidZ
 performance is this 2008 blog post:

   https://blogs.oracle.com/roch/entry/when_to_and_not_to

 Regarding zpool vs. zfs, I'd suggest any ZFS administration handbook
 you like.  A classic one is the "Solaris ZFS Administration Guide",
 available online from Oracle at

   http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/

 I'd suggest chapter 3, then article
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/gaypk/index.html,
 then chapter 2 and finally chapter 1, in that particular order.

 Unfortunately, it is only a HTML version.  It used to be available in
 PDF in the past, but apparently Oracle stopped that practice.  Google
 is your friend anyway.

 There are also some quite good talks on ZFS basics on youTube and some
 nice slide sets out there, but I don't have any administration related
 ones at hand.  I have more the technical stuff aimed at ZFS development
 ready.

 Bets regards

    Björn

> On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 4:21 PM, Bjoern Kahl
> <googlelo...@bjoern-kahl.de> wrote:
>
> Hi James,

> Almost.
>
> As said in my other mail an hour ago, "normalization" doesn't exist
> in the stable MacZFS version.  Also each option needs its own "-o"
> and ashift is a pool option, not a file system option.
>
> You do "zpool create -o ashift=12 -O atime=off murr _devices_ ..."
>
> Note the capital "-O" and the small letter "-o".
>
> And for subsequent file systems (datasets in ZFS language) you use
>
> "zfs create -o atime=off _pool_name/fs_name_"
>
> If you used the development version, then you would add a "-O
> normalization=formD" in the zpool command and a "-o
> normalization=formD" in the zfs command.

- --
|     Björn Kahl   +++   Lambertstrasse 2   +++   53721 Siegburg       |
|   Tel.: (ISDN) 02241 1462182  +++  Web: http://www.bjoern-kahl.de    |
Weitergabe und/oder gewerbliche Nutzung meiner Adresse/TeleNr untersagt.

- --
|     Bjoern Kahl   +++   Siegburg   +++    Germany     |
| "googlelogin@-my-domain-"   +++   www.bjoern-kahl.de  |
| Languages: German, English, Ancient Latin (a bit :-)) |

--

---