at 12:52 PM 9/23/02 -0700 Marc Schindler favored us with:
>There have been a number of 1P statements and other commentary by the
>brethren on what constitutes a moral war and what doesn't. Start with "War and Peace"
>and "War and the Military" articles in the EoM.

Why turn to the commentaries of the Brethren?  Just learn the eternal principles of
war explained by the Lord in D&C, Section 98.  We are never justified in aggression.
And we may not retaliate until the enemy has come against us four times with a warning
from us after the first three.

The Brethren stick pretty close the standard works.  They don't deviate far if at all.
 Some might argue that this is a "different kind of war."  Don't let the devil deceive
you.  The principles are eternal.  If we can't find how to implement them in the
current situation then we need to figure out a way to do it.  Do what is right.  Let
the consequences follow.  It's not just an nice saying, it is the Law.

I'm not expecting much agreement from the mostly right-wing crowd on Zion, although
I've been so far to right all my life that I have nearly fallen off the left-right
spectrum.  A person does not have to approve a dishonorable war just because he is a
conservative.  It is not a matter of conservative or liberal.  It is a matter of right
and wrong.

Enemies inside our border is a police problem, not military problem.  Enemies outside
our borders are a military problem.  And the military has that problem only when our
nation is in imminent danger of destruction.  Neither conventional or unconventional
war can be waged without identifying the enemy.  And so far our national leaders
haven't been doing very well in that department.

The whole situation stinks.  I predict that the War on Terrorism will end up like the
War on Poverty and the War on Drugs.  In other words we are going to spend
unimaginable amounts of money, giving a blank check to our president; and in the
process we are going to have our rights and our liberties taken from us in the name of
national security.

Heck, the people in this country won't even let their pilots be armed.  Just how
realistic are we about this war?  Drastic problems require drastic solutions.  But
when a solution is suggested, ask your self a couple of questions:  Is this proposed
solution actually going to benefit the people of the United State, or is it being
proposed as a pretext for doing things our leaders would otherwise not dare to do.
And then ask yourself, is the proposed solution actually going to solve the problem?

All I have seen from Bush, the media, and the man in the street is a lot of breathless
rhetoric.  And almost everyone is swallowing whatever is fed to them by Bush and the
media.  Where were we when Heavenly Father was passing out the critical faculty?  One
of the most important qualities of a good education is to instill the willingness and
ability to resist propaganda.  If we don't approach US foreign and military policy
with an educated and critical mind,  refusing to automatically accept anything we hear
on the evening news, then we are uneducated indeed.  Not only that, but we will
ultimately do a lot that we will be ashamed of latter on.  Without the critical
faculty, we are easy prey to the deceptions of the devil.  I personally believe that
he has a lot to do with the approaching war, but he is doing it through his mortal
minions.

John W. Redelfs                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
President J. Reuben Clark warned: "The ravening wolves
are amongst us, from our own membership, and they,
more than any others, are clothed in sheep's clothing,
because they wear the habiliments of the Priesthood….
We should be careful of them." (CR April 1949, p. 163.)
(Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, p.354)