"John W. Redelfs" wrote:

> at 12:52 PM 9/23/02 -0700 Marc Schindler favored us with:
> >There have been a number of 1P statements and other commentary by the
> >brethren on what constitutes a moral war and what doesn't. Start with "War and
>Peace"
> >and "War and the Military" articles in the EoM.
>
> Why turn to the commentaries of the Brethren?  Just learn the eternal principles of
>war explained by the Lord in D&C, Section 98.  We are never justified in aggression.
>And we may not retaliate until the enemy has come against us four times with a
>warning from us after the first three.

Indeed. But some people are selective in what they read in the scriptures, I'm afraid.

> The Brethren stick pretty close the standard works.  They don't deviate far if at
>all.  Some might argue that this is a "different kind of war."  Don't let the devil
>deceive you.  The principles are eternal.  If we can't find how to implement them in
>the current situation then we need to figure out a way to do it.  Do what is right.
>Let the consequences follow.  It's not just an nice saying, it is the Law.

Vietname was a "different kind of war", so was the invasion of Nicaragua.. They're all
different, but just like entering a Ben & Jerry's and being overwhelmed by all the
different flavours, we have to remember that it is all ice cream.

As an example of the "breathless media", the front sectionss of even our national
papers have had detailed coverage f the West Nile Virus, which rarely affect humans,
and when it does, is rarely fatal. We've had two fatalities so far (in Ontario and
Quebec). And for this column-metres of ink was wasted.

Art does not reproduce what we see. Rather, it makes us see. – Paul Klee

Note: This communication represents the informal personal views of the author solely;
its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the author’s employer, nor those of
any organization with which the author may be associated.