After careful consideration, Gary Smith wrote:
>Or are you just reading that into such events? Were the Nephites wicked
>for trying to destroy the Gadiantons? Or were they just not strong enough
>to accomplish it? Perhaps the Nephites were more righteous when they
>allowed the Gadiantons to grow in power among the Nephites? Let's not
>misquote the BoM on these things.

I haven't been quoting the Book of Mormon.  Rather I have been trying to
teach the principles that I have learned from searching it.  The Gadianton
Robbers were a domestic problem, not an invasion or attack by a foreign
power.  Al-Qaeda is a domestic problem, not the innocent people of Iraq.

>The Gadiantons were a clear and present danger. The Nephites did all
>within their power to stop them. Just because they were unable, does not
>mean their efforts were wrong.

Your are writing as if the Nephites were virtuous in their war against
Gadianton Robbers.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  It was
Nephite pride stemming from great abundance that created the atmosphere in
which the Gadiantons could flourish.  If they had not been wicked, the
Gadiantons could never have gotten hold of the government in the first
place.  It is the same with us.

The Book of Mormon teaches that there are Gadianton Robbers in every
nation, but they only become powerful when the people become proud and
worship their own wealth more than God.  It is only when a nation becomes
willing to kill for money.  And that is exactly what we will be doing in
Iraq if we fight them.  We will be killing for money, in this case, Middle
Eastern oil.

John W. Redelfs                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"It may be, for instance, that nothing except the power of
faith and the authority of the priesthood can save
individuals and congregations from the atomic holocausts
that surely shall be."  --Bruce R. McConkie