I grant you your right to oppose foreign powers from interfering in
another nation. But then, perhaps Canada should withdraw from the United
Nations, as they seem to be in a bunch of nations right now, with
Canadian forces....

If you may recall, we didn't come originally into this position out of
our own volition. We preferred to be isolationists for most of our
history. It wasn't until Europe dragged us into their exploits, in an
attempt to keep their wars and fights from pouring over into other areas
of the world (Boxer Rebellion, anyone?). Not until after the Second war
to end all wars did we realize we had to be active in the world to keep
the bad guys at bay and to ensure democracy survived. Were we perfect in
our attempts? No.  But I can just imagine how much worse the world would
be in right now, had we not stepped in on occasion. Thanks to our "cowboy
diplomacy" millions are living in democracies today, rather than under
the grip of communism, fascism and other totalitarian regimes.

If you are so intent on Al-Assad and Musharaf, why don't you suggest
Canada work on them?

I would be very happy to allow Canada to step in and be the new world
police force. Heck, I'm sure we could get a few billion dollars a year
sent your way from our tax base, if you would take it over for us.

We have, in the past, tried to put more power with the United Nations.
Remember how we let them go into several nations in the past decade to
handle the problems? What ended up happening in virtually every instance?
The French refuse to give their soldiers bullets, and the problem
children end up laughing in the UN's face. The UN would blow it and turn
to us to bail them out. Why are we the world's police force? Because no
one else is serious enough to do the job, and so they keep coming back to
us to handle it.

We have chosen to concentrate on Saddam Hussein first. Why? Because we
see him as OUR major threat in the area at this time. If Canada sees
someone else as a major threat, they are welcome to step in and
straighten out the problem. Arm chair warriors need not apply. Back seat
drivers not needed, either.

K'aya K'ama,
Gerald/gary  Smith    gszion1 @juno.com    http://www
.geocities.com/rameumptom/index.html
"No one is as hopelessly enslaved as the person who thinks he's free."  -
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Marc:
First of all, I do not oppose the removal of Saddam Hussein from power --
he's
every bit the tyrant that people say he is. What I oppose is a foreign
country, a
superpower who think they have a mandate to police the world, deciding
whom
take out and who to leave in charge (if Hussein, why not al-Assad and
Mussharaf,
as I keep asking).

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.