"John W. Redelfs" wrote:

> After careful consideration, Marc A. Schindler wrote:
> >UN peacekeeping forces are never in a country unless they've been invited in.
>
> Invited in by whom?  These nations aren't democracies.

By the two sides. The way it was originally designed, both sides of a conflict had
to invite peacekeeping forces in to help enforce ceasefires. Unfortunately it's
changed since then and usually these days the Security Council decided when and
where to send peacekeepers, and that just isn't what it was intended to do. You
have to have a genuine desire for peace on both sides or it just won't work. I
know that's only a partial answer to your question, but there you have it.

> So the people
> surely did not invite them.  And in many if not most cases the
> dictatorships involved are one that we ourselves have set up in power.
> Therefore, all we have to do is tell the friendly dictator, "Invite us in,
> or we will call in your loans."  This invitation you speak of is a charade,
> a sham.
>
> John W. Redelfs                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and
falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."

solely; its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the authorís employer,