After much pondering, Gary Smith favored us with:
You are thinking of the short mortal term we live in. All will bow the
knee and profess Christ as Lord. The majority of them will eventually
accept Christ, and though they may not merit the Celestial Kingdom, they
still will accept the gospel someday. It is just that they will not have
the ability to live all of the gospel, and so will not be celestial
material. Even we will have to go through a perfecting and learning
period before receiving godhood (DC 130). If one must be exalted before
being a true Christian, then no one (not even Christ) was a true
Christian as a mortal.
I do not believe that eventually the majority of them will accept Christ, nor do I believe you can establish this claim as scriptural.

On the contrary, Jesus said:

13 Enter ye in at the strait gate; for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, which leadeth to destruction, and many there be who go in thereat;

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

15 Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. (3 Nephi 14:13-15)

How do you get "majority" from this? It clearly says that most people will not find the "narrow" way that leads to life.

And if the various ministers and professional clergymen of other churches are not "false prophets," then who are the false prophets?

You know. I think our disagreement on this and related issues stems from your desire to see everyone, or almost everyone saved. I don't think this is a righteous desire. It denies the concept of moral agency and the fact that many will choose the wrong. Only when we realize that keeping the commandments, including baptism, is the only road to salvation, do we have a good reason for keeping them.

The scriptures do clearly establish that those who believe in Christ, and receive an authorized baptism will be "saved," and those who do not will be damned. This teaching that most people will be saved is not scriptural. If you think that it is, please show me your supporting evidence from scripture and the teachings of the modern prophets.

John W. Redelfs [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"...by proving contraries, truth is made manifest" --Joseph
Smith, History of the Church, Volume 6, p.248

/// ZION LIST CHARTER: Please read it at ///
/// http://www.zionsbest.com/charter.html ///