Well put, Sandy.  To me -- others will surely differ -- the
divinely-inspired U.S. Constitution is the guide for how we
should deal with such matters.  In asserting that the
Constitution is divinely inspired, God suggests that that
equality, rule of law, and freedom to worship and choose right
from wrong are paramount.  The Constitution does not -- need
not -- endorse evil doing per se, but it should continue to give
us the right to choose for ourselves and, within reason, make
"shades of gray" assessments as society correctly or incorrectly
(ultimately) deems appropriate. If God intended that we should be
compelled to behave ourselves, a different cast of characters
would have emerged victorious in the pre-existence.

>I actually agree with you as to what you wrote.  It's how
>we apply these things to society as a whole that's part of
>what I'm wrestling with.

I think God intends us to wrestle a lot. It seems define what
this life is all about.

RBS