Grimy Teeth
©2004 by Jonathan Scott

Once upon a time there were two boys and they were the best of friends. Unfortunately for both though, they were both about as lazy as they could be. They would wake each morning from under their two piles of never washed blankets to stand in the middles of their never cleaned rooms to look out the grimy panes of their never washed windows to see the clutter that filled their never tended yards. And they were each happy. The disgust of their environment apparently did not disgust them. And each of them lived their lives contentedly amidst the grime, the roaches and the disease.

One day, one boy's father saw his son desperately coughing as he lay contentedly upon his gray and sickly bed and the father knew that his son would soon become even more sick and possibly die. He knew that if the boy did not clean his world now that he might not live much longer. And so, out of fear for his son's well being, the father began to yell and scream at him.
"HOW CAN YOU LIVE LIKE THIS?" he yelled.
"ANIMALS ARE MORE KEMPT! YOU SHAME ME WITH YOUR LAZINESS!" he screamed.
The father then picked up his hand and struck the boy across his face and the boy fell to the ground in tears.
The father then stood over the boy and threatened to strike him again if he did not change his ways.
"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." spoke the boy in absolute fear through his gray and grimy teeth.
"CLEAN THIS ROOM AND THIS WORLD NOW OR WHEN I RETURN I SHALL BEAT YOU TO PIECES!" yelled and screamed the father.
The father then stood and left the room...leaving the boy to sit on the ground sick with fear.
And so, the boy stood and began to clean. He was afraid.

On that same day, the other's boy's father came to his room to see the filth and grime and disease of his son. He also was amazed at the extent of the grime. But, because the son was yet healthy and not yet in danger, he knew that he could take his time to teach the boy.
"Son, this is not good. You cannot live this way. If you continue to live like this, you will catch some sort of disease and you might die. Son, I love you. Please stand up and clean."
"OK father." said the boy through grimy teeth. He then rolled over in his gray and stained bed and went back to sleep.
The father was sad, but chose to let the boy choose his own life. He kicked aside the empty cans and cereal boxes and made his way to the door of the bedroom.
The next day, the father returned to see the boy still in bed. On the boy's face there was a rash. And when the father entered, the boy seemed to not be able to lay comfortably amidst the garbage. His body seemed to be in pain.
"Son, the pain that you are feeling and that rash that is on your face both come from the garbage that you live amongst. If you clean, your body will heal. Please clean. I love you."
The son, understanding somewhat the message of his father stood from his bed and began to clean.
The father smiled and left.

The first boy managed to clean his room before his father returned and therefore wasn't beaten to pieces by him. As you can probably guess, that boy never loved his father. He was too afraid of him to love him. And so he lived the rest of his days in fear. He was never very happy. And he was never grateful for the health and long life that his father had given him.
The second boy struggled with cleaning his entire days. After years of filth, sickness, and inconvenience though, the boy began to understand and to change. The boy eventually learned to clean of his own free will and loved his father for having cared enough about him to teach him. He had health and a long life and loved his father till the end of his days.