Mike Gerdts wrote:
On 3/15/07, Jeff Victor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Inheriting 1, 2, or 3 of these dir's isn't called anything, and very little,
if any, testing has been done to see what happens with those.

See http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-1592/6mhahuoog?a=view for some more info.

Huh?

I've been using zones since before Sun was shipping Solaris 10 CD's,
with various combinations of inherit-pkg-dir and have followed
zones-discuss regularly for a very long time.  This is the first that
I have heard anyone mention that only SUNWdefault SUNWblank are the
supported configurations.  If that is the case, why on earth does
inherit-pkg-dir exist in the zonecfg man page?  I see nothing about
the supportability of alternate inherit-pkg-dir selections listed in
the page above.

I have patched in between setups, basically patchadd ( and ti's friends ) do not have any hard coding on whole vs sparse, they simply determine what dirs are inherited and pass them down the stack, the underlying tools then work on that basic.
So having 3 inherited dirs is quite ok,
The OP's questions regarding the -G option suggests that the global
zone may have been patched with patchadd -G, which would result in
confusing configurations with the various non-global zones.  Perhaps
patchrm and patchadd (sans -G) would be in order.
was patchadd -G used or not as I'm not too clear?

Enda

Mike