He replied to my post earlier advising not to use the inherit-pkg-dir method as
it will be unpredictable in OpenSolaris. Do a quick search on this same page
with the term "um. don't do that" and read that! I think the conclusion is
there is no sparse zones in OpenSolaris 2009.06. Every zone is a whole-root

The thing is I think OpenSolaris 2009.06 is too "bleeding edge". The
development breaks something of the old, stable technology found in Solaris 10.
Sun is using OpenSolaris as a testing ground for Solaris 10 (or the future
Solaris 11). OpenSolaris is essentially Solaris 10/11 "BETA". And, Sun cannot
claim OpenSolaris is mission-critical.

Here's another frustration and confusion: if you check the OpenSolaris
documentation (NOT Solaris 10 docs) for Containers and Zones (forgot the exact
title), you can see that it provides instructions to use inherit-pkg-dir and
talks about sparse zones. In actual fact, Sun has now (hopefully, temporarily)
removed sparse zones technology but the documentation gives the wrong

Well, anyway...

I am thinking of an alternative and do not know if it is possible: mount a ZFS
filesystem as read-only in a zone (inside OpenSolaris 2009.06, of course). It
this way we can mimick sparse zones just like before. I have not really played
with ZFS to that degree. Can anyone tell if this is possible and how to do it?